cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10/100 Mbps fiber switch?

jlyons
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with an old 3COM Lanplex 2500 switch that has 16 10 Mbps Ethernet ST fiber connections for servers. What Cisco products can do this?

I was looking at the WS-G5484 GBICs, but they are 1000 Mbps only. Any thoughts?

5 Replies 5

mikegallagher
Level 1
Level 1

There were some cards in the 5000 series switches that did this, but I don't think there is anything recent that will give you what you need.

HTH,

Mike

You could use some 10BaseT to 10BaseFL media converters/repeaters and connect to a 10/100 UTP interface - there are various Cisco switches that have 10/100 UTP Ethernet interfaces.

Andy

I second Andy's suggestion.

Most manufacturers these days are not building multiple-fiber-port modules in the small footprint niche that the 3Com LANplex/CoreBuilder 2500 and 3500 occupied. Especially in the slower (10 or 100) speeds. No money to be made there.

I have replaced several 3Com LANplex and CoreBuilder switches that had 10Base-FL or 100BASE-FX fiber modules, with Cisco 10/100 UTP switches and rack-mounted media converters of the appropriate speed (10 or 100) and fiber type (MMF or SMF). Takes up a little more space in the rack, and requires extra power outlets for the media converter shelf, but it works fine.

In some ways, this approach is even more flexible: you can add or replace on a port-by-port basis, vs. swapping out a whole 8-port 10FL (2500) or 6-port 100FX (3500) module.

yi-chen
Level 1
Level 1

WS-C3550-24-FX-SMI 24-100FX MMF+2GBIC ports might be your choice.

jlyons
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all of the responses. According to Cisco presales support, none of their products are backward compatible with 10Base-FL, not even the 100Base-FX. So media convertors it is!

Thanks for all your help,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: