cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10 second delay for an application

shaheem.shafat
Level 1
Level 1

I am working for a bank and one of our application when contacting a server in another country has a 10 second delay response from last week.

Resulting in the network lag which is totally unacceptable under Bank norms. The links are running IPSEC tunnels over MPLS links between the both the sides. What should I do ? The details are somewhat like below: -

LAG ISSUE.PNG

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well you might start by determining if the network exhibits "bad" performance/behavior for other traffic too.

You also might determine if the applications is particularly sensitive to network behavior.

How you accomplish the foregoing, especially understanding/analyzing test results, is not something that's easily explained in a this kind of forum.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Joseph is correct.

In a past life I worked for a bank with off shore locations using SAP /Peoplesoft. Generally none of these apps are geared for wan usage. they assume 0 latency with infinite bandwidth.

First, I would establish what constitues Network overhead. That would be a ping test to the last IP before the server.

Second, I would try to capture a typical transaction, there may be some clues in the request/respone dialog.

Third, make sure the layer 1 & 2 components are not exhibiting anything like drops, bad frames etc etc

Fourth, Make sure tcp is configured correctly on end stations. there is info on the internet regarding optimizing window sizes.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In a past life I worked for a bank with off shore locations using SAP /Peoplesoft. Generally none of these apps are geared for wan usage. they assume 0 latency with infinite bandwidth.

Not true!  They only assume LAN like performance, such as submillisecond latency and 100 Mbps, or better, bandwidth. 

Actually in one of my past lives, I spent a decade supporting SAP's Enterprise network.  SAP software, especially the older versions, was also very "fragile", drop a packet and it would drop the session.

If I only had a nickle for everytime application folk would come to us with a complaint like, Sydney (Australia) is "slow" accessing the Walldorf (Germany) server applications.  What's wrong with the network?

Unfortunately, I've misplaced it, but for a while I use to provide application developers a Microsoft white paper about special considerations for developing network applications to run across WANs.  (NB: not sure many of Microsoft's developers read that paper either.  )