Views
Helpful
Replies

1000BaseSX port?

christina_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would appreciate if someone can recommend an edge switch which supports about 12 to 16 1000BaseSX port?

Thanks.

Christina

5 Replies 5

atif.awan
Level 3
Level 3

The Catalyst 3750G-12S-S is capable of terminating 12 1000BaseSX connections. You have to buy 12 SFPs (GLC-SX-MM) along with the switch. If you want higher density you can either stack two 3750G-12S-S or go for a modular chassic based switch (4500 or 6500)

Hi,

I require GBIC, any switches that support GBIC?

Thanks.

Christina

Any specific reason you require GBICs? The direction is to move towards SFPs. Most of the GBIC based low end models (3500XL, 3550) are End of Sale now and cannot be ordered directly from Cisco but you maybe able to buy a refurbished or used piece from one of many online retailers. Again if there is no genuine requirement to use GBICs I advise you look at the SFP models.

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. This is an existing configuration.

Thanks.

Christina

Just one more comment for your information; you probably already know this but I will say it anyway. If you have a GBIC based switch on one side there is NO issue connecting it to an SFP based switch on the other side as long as you use the matching GBIC and SFP (both SX). The type of patch cable required will be different also since the SFP has an LC connector while the GBIC is SC based.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco