Views
Helpful
Replies

100Base over SMF

johnson-richard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a problem where we need to have lots of ports from access switches running 100Base-X over SMF.

One option I think may be to go for the 3750-24FS-S, as this is stated as 100BaseFX, but I'm pretty sure the ports are MMF although I can't find this confirmed anywhere - can anyone confirm that it's not possible to use SMF with the access ports of this switch?

Alternatively, we could go for 100BaseFX/LX modules for 45xx and 65xx but this increases cost as we need numerous access switches.

Another alternative would be to use MMF to SMF converters but i'm concerned about adding more single points of failure (although they are passive I think).

Does anyone have any real world experience or nice solutions for this issue?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Hi,

We are using 4506 with WS-X4148-FE-LX-MT (48 ports 100BASE-LX). Seems to be an optimal solution at a hub site.

In my opinion the good thing with 45XX series switchen is that you can later migrate relativelly easy to gigabit. Instead of install new switch (as it will be for 3750-24FS-S) you need simply to insert new module in 45XX switchen and keep almost all of your current configuration.

But do you really need the layer-3 access switches? If no, 2960 family could be very good alternative. We are using 2960 with 100BASE-LX SFP modules on most of clients small sites. Again, the migration to gigabit will be very easy in this case - you need just to change the SFP module.

//Mikhail Galiulin

Thanks for the response, i'm now looking at getting the 45xx with WS-X4148-FE-LX-MT module and I do agree it is far better in terms of growth.

What would be the max number of 100BaseFX LX that a 2960 could terminate? I think there's only a max of 4 SFP uplinks ports that I could use. Do you know if there a re any older switches (2950,28xx etc)that can support more 100BaseFX LX ports?

Hi,

There was a one of 3550 series ( WS-C3550-24-FX ) but I'm not sure whether it is available now.

Check whether 3750 with SFP ports supports the 100BASE-LX SFP module (GLC-FE-100LX)

//Mikhail Galiulin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco