cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1600 bootup error

dan-jones
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1602 (non-r) that is giving me an error on boot up and I cannot seem to find any reference to the error on cisco.com or anywhere else.

The bootup screen looks like:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(10)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1600 processor with 10240 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x2005000, size: 0x798

uncompress: insufficient information to begin ... aborting

boot of "cisco2-C1600" using boot helper "eprom:uncompress" failed

error returned: cisco2-C1600

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "cisco2-C1600"ú

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(10)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1600 processor with 10240 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000060, size: 0x7a7fd4

It looks like the bootstrap tries to load, fails, tries again and succeeds after which it loads the IOS image on the card. I tried a known-good card from another 1602 and see the same error but this router's card on another 1602 gives me no error so I have to assume the error is specific to this router.

I looked in the rommon area and there don't seem to be any commands to point to a source and/or file to load. Also, when I change my confreg to 0x2101, it boots into rommon so upgrades, per cisco's procedure, aren't working (I have used the other 1602 to upgrade the card and it worked).

Has anyone else ever seen this and, if so, do you know of a fix for it? The router is fully functional in all other respects so - worst case scenario - I can deal with it being a 'cosmetic' blemish if there is no work around.

Thanks.

Dan Jones

2 Replies 2

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

Check your config to be sure that you don't have any old boot system statements in there. That is most likely what is causing the error message at boot up (telling the rouetr to load an IOS that is no longer in flash).

After some more poking and prodding, I found another clue.

In the rommon menu, I can type 'dir eprom:' and get this response:

rommon 9 > dir eprom:

File size Checksum File name

1971592 bytes (0x1e1588) 0x009f c1600-boot-r.111-10.AA (bad checksum: 0x

f89e)

1976 bytes (0x7b8) 0x60a1 uncompress

It appears to be a hardware error with the loaded image on the eprom but, again, I can find no references to what can be done with it. Not sure if there are commands specific to affect the eprom in the 160x routers or if it is necessary to copy the (ep)ROM of another 1602 and 'burn' it on this (or a new) eprom and stick it in the router. (Hmmm...wonder if that thing is socketed.)

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: