Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

1601R IOS

I have a 1601R router considering that the router has reached its “end of life” for support and software upgrade it has been suggested that I replace the router with an 1841. I am currently running ISO 12.0. From what I understand I can upgrade to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(3)XG. Is it a security risk to run an older version of the IOS?

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: 1601R IOS

Hello,

There is no inherent security risk with running an older version. If the IOS is working well, there should be no reason to upgrade. However, you should use the Cisco Bug tool to determine if there are any bugs within your current release that affect the features you use. If that is the case, you may want to upgrade. Also, Cisco will defer releases from time to time if there are security issues with them. You can use the Cisco Software Advisor to determine if that is the case for your release.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 1601R IOS

I would answer this question slightly differently. Cisco publishes Security Advisories when it discovers that there is a security threat that affects Cisco equipment, including the router product line. There are many vulnerabilities that affect various older versions of code. This link goes to the page that lists the advisories:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisories_listing.html

If you are thinking about running older code then I would suggest that you examine this list carefully to see if the version you are thinking about has some security vulnerabilities. For example this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a008055ef31.shtml

shows that there is a heap based overflow vulnerability and here is what it says about release 12.1XG:

12.1XG Vulnerable; migrate to 12.3(16) or later

In general I would be fairly nervous about running significantly older code on any Cisco router.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content