Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

1604-R version question

Good Day to all,

I have a spare 1604-R router with version 11.2(18)P which I want to put back on my network at a remote site. Is this a current version or should I upgrade to 12.1? I have done some searching on the CCO site and found information on the actual upgrade but not if I need it or not. Perhaps I am looking at it from the wrong angle or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carolyn

3 REPLIES

Re: 1604-R version question

Carolyn,

You probably don't *need* to upgrade, but I always like to keep up with current IOS. However, depending on your feature pack, you may not have sufficient memory. I recently tried to upgrade to 12.2 IP Plus but the 1720s that I bought just months ago didn't have enough. So I would start by figuring that out first, and if you are OK with mem, it only takes a matter of minutes to TFTP the new IOS.

I always try to upgrade to the latest General Deployment version, unless I have a specific need to go higher. Look at 12.0 in the IOS Upgrade Planner, and you should see the GD versions listed there. Not sure if there's any GD in 12.1 yet.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As this router is going to a remote site with 3 users, the boss decided the current IOS version is adequate. He didn't want to put more money or time into the project as we are going from token ring to ethernet at the same time.

Again, thanks and Happy Holidays.

Carolyn

Views
Helpful
Replies