Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1605R - Can I move flashcard to a new 1605R?

I have a Cisco 1605R question.

Are the router configs stored in the memory card that fits into the back of the router??

I am asking because we have a used 1605R series router that is currently in

use at or office.

I would like to replace the used router with a newer 1605R that we have and

I am wondering if I can just swap out the memory cards and be done with

it...

Or

Do I have to configure the new router...

Any info is appreciated...

J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1605R - Can I move flashcard to a new 1605R?

configs are stored in NVRAM chips. The memory card on the back is flash card, which stores IOS for router.

Boot to RXBOOT mode by setting configuration register to 0x2101 first and now the flash will be in read write mode. Now copy the startup configuration to the flash. Once you do this move the flash to the new 1605 and once it boots up, copy the configuration file back to NVRAM of new router.

Commands needed are,

config-register 0x2101

reload

Router(boot)#copy startup flash:

( the above commands are on old 1605R)

This will store your existing configuration into flash. While doing this, make sure, you dont copy it by erasing flash. When router asks you to erase the flash, answer no, and it will continue to copy the file without erasing flash.

Once the file is copied, Move the flash from the slot to the new 1605. and boot the router, and once this is done, first thing to do is, copy the config file from flash to router.

router# copy flash:startup-config startup

(this command is on the new 1605)

Once this is done, copy contents from startup to running configuration.

Hope this is of help!

2 REPLIES

configs are stored in NVRAM chips. The memory card on the back is flash card, which stores IOS for router.

Boot to RXBOOT mode by setting configuration register to 0x2101 first and now the flash will be in read write mode. Now copy the startup configuration to the flash. Once you do this move the flash to the new 1605 and once it boots up, copy the configuration file back to NVRAM of new router.

Commands needed are,

config-register 0x2101

reload

Router(boot)#copy startup flash:

( the above commands are on old 1605R)

This will store your existing configuration into flash. While doing this, make sure, you dont copy it by erasing flash. When router asks you to erase the flash, answer no, and it will continue to copy the file without erasing flash.

Once the file is copied, Move the flash from the slot to the new 1605. and boot the router, and once this is done, first thing to do is, copy the config file from flash to router.

router# copy flash:startup-config startup

(this command is on the new 1605)

Once this is done, copy contents from startup to running configuration.

Hope this is of help!

Dude,

Your the man... this is great!

J.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content