Views
Helpful
Replies

1720 config

valco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

I have a 1720 router with an ISDN card , one WIC with two serial interfaces and of course an ethernet interface.I want to know if that router can help me with the next configuration :

I have two computers : one of them is running MS-DOS/X25 and the other is running WINNT/TCPIP.Inside of MS-DOS computer I have one X25 card .For both computers I want to use a file transfer program ( I have two versions of that program-one client for MS-DOS/X25 and one server for WINNT/TCPIP ) .I need to know if 1720 router can help me to connect the both computers (I know there is a command "translate" to do that but I do not find it in my 1720 IOS).

Please tell me if that configuration is possible and what IOS should I use.

Thank you very much !

3 Replies 3

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

are both the computers on in the same site?

If yes, why don't you just install an Ethernet NIC to the MS-DOS computer and connect them via LAN?

It would be much easier...

But if it is necessary to use the X.25 card I can imagine following scenario:

Connect X.25 card to 1720 serial port via X.21 (or V.35 or RS-232 depending on your card physical interface)DCE cable. Configure 1720 to provide clock. Configure an X.25 PVC between 1720 and PC (I'm not sure if 1720 supports this).

Configure IP address on the X.25 PC interface and on the router side.

Yopu can use any IP-based file transfer then.

Regards,

Milan

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Protocol Translation is not supported on 1700 series routers, you'll need a 2500 or higher (according to the cisco.com software advisor) with an Enterprise Plus IOS.

hth

Herbert

Thank you very much !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: