cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1721 router with T1 primary Internet and ADSL backup

echrisman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1721 router with a WIC1DSU connected to a T1 for Internet. I would like to install a WIC1ENET in the other WIC slot and connect this to our ADSL providers router and configure that link as a backup for the Internet. I am having trouble locating info on how to configure this.

A collegue mentioned that if the ADSL and T1 are both provided by the same ISP that I can use OSPF. Otherwise I must use BGP, but first be sure that both providers support BGP protocol.

Is this true? Any sample configs or additional info would be appreciated as I've never configured a backup link.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

jljamison
Level 1
Level 1

Note in this case, if the DSL goes down, the router won't know it - as far as it is concerned, its ethernet connection to the DSL modem is up. If you want the router to detect if the DSL is down, then put a WIC-ADSL in the router.

If you actually want to load balance, i would give BGP a shot. It is actually somewhat difficult to set up with different outside ip addresses on each interface - the routing and mapping issues are pretty nasty.

I just set up a configuration like this, with T1 and DSL on a 2620 router. I used route-maps for the NAT translation as well as policy based routing to direct traffic either over the T1 or the DSL

I can send you a cleaned up config file if that would be useful

That would be great and much appreciated!!! echrisman@hufftech.com So i realize the router won't know if the DSL goes down... but could I still configure the DSL connection as a backup rather than load balancing? Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: