Views
Helpful
Replies

1721 won't save config

james.philpot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am trying to remotely configure a 1721 series router via telnet from another 1721.

I am trying to add a static route on the remote router. I do this using the conf t command then use the command ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.254.1

I then type end

then reload. I say yes to rebuild the config. I then confirm to reboot. The telnet connection is then lost beacause the router is rebooting. After a few minutes I am able to telnet back into the remote router but if I issue the show ip route command there are still no static routes set.

If I issue the show config command then the static route command is listed but it is not applied. On the other 1721 if I issue the show ip route command the information is displayed

Does anyone have any ideas please?

James.

1 Reply 1

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

The Cisco IOS does not install in the routing table a route for which the next hop is unavailable.

In your case, the next hop for the route you configured - 192.168.254.1 is a bogus next hop or is configured on an interface which is down. In this case you will not see the configured route in the routing table, show ip route, even if this route appears in the configuration.

To get around this situation, you can configure the route as permanent with the command:

ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.254.1 permanent

Now, even if the next hop is unavailable, the route is present in the routing table.

Cheers

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***