cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1760 FA interfaces

jsalminen
Level 1
Level 1

I will be installing a 1760 router with a T1 wic. I have two vlans from my 1924 switch. A VoIP and data vlan. I will setup the router on a stick concept. My question is do I have to create one FA subinterface for each vlan or could I setup the fa0/0 interface with the data vlan parameters and then create a voip fa subinterface?

I am thinking I need two subinterfaces, but I cannot find any documentation supporting my theory.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order to achieve what you want with one Fast-ethernet interface, you need to setup a trunk between the router and the switch. The problem is that the 1760 only supports 802.1q trunking (as far as I know) and the 1924 only supports ISL. Hence, the trunk solution is not possible. Thus, if you have 2 VLANs, you will have to use one Fast-ethernet interface per VLAN.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order to achieve what you want with one Fast-ethernet interface, you need to setup a trunk between the router and the switch. The problem is that the 1760 only supports 802.1q trunking (as far as I know) and the 1924 only supports ISL. Hence, the trunk solution is not possible. Thus, if you have 2 VLANs, you will have to use one Fast-ethernet interface per VLAN.