Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 Router - Switch VLAN question

cbathurst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a question regarding the 1811 router with built in 8 port switch. For a branch office I need 4 network segments:

1. LAN1 (Private subnet)

2. LAN2 (Private subnet)

3. LAN3 (Private subnet)

4. INTERNET/WAN (Public subnet)

All segments need to be isolated from each other with access managed by firewall/access lists. The 3 LANs need to be NATed out to the Internet.

Can this be done with an 1811 using VLANing on the switch?

What Im assuming can be done is to use the 2 dedicated ports for the WAN and LAN1. And then by using VLANs, I can appoint a switch port to LAN2 and another switch port to LAN3.

But! can I managed the switch ports for LAN2 and LAN3 as though they are routed ports - and control their access to the other networks and between each other? And can LAN2 and LAN3 NAT out to the Internet?

A reseller has said I need an 1841 with the 4 port HWIC switch module to do this?

Please help.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

the 1811 is a fixed configuration model router with support for upto 8 vlans. (no firewall between them; only firewall between LAN and WAN.

you cannot control the LAN ports as routed ports. they are switching ports only.

NAT will be performed by the firewall for all devices outbound, and port redirection for inbound.

the 1841 is a modular configuration model and can support the features you're requesting.

see these links for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a95f.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/prod_models_comparison.html

Thanks for your response.

So the difference we are looking at here is that on the 1841 switch module, traffic between 2 VLAN?s can be controlled by access lists, but not on the 1811 switch? Reading around it appears they are similar in that both models VLANs appear as layer 3 routable ?interfaces? ? ie, on the 1811 you can route between two VLAN?s but perhaps you cannot firewall them from each other? Is that correct?

Clive