cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 + 2950 New Setup

networksavvy
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently using a 2950 Switch (WS-C2950G-48-EI) and have it running in conjunction with a Linksys Router on a satellite connection with the Linksys router being the DHCP server. We are currently building our DHCP, DController infrastructure now and will be replacing the satellite connection and Linksys with a single T1 in the upcoming weeks. What is the model WIC that I will need for our 1841 (CISCO1841-HSEC/K9)router to work with the T1?

Currently - there is only the single default vlan configured for all 48 ports on the switch and it has been working fine - can someone tell me the IP that I can use to connect via HT over the network without having to console in with a laptop?

I am slightly confused with a cisco router+switch being used in conjuction as I have only mild configuration experience with smaller independantly ran cisco gear. I want the top 24 ports on the swt to be vlan 10.1.2.xxx for servers and the bottom 24 to be vlan 10.1.4.xxx. Do I configure the vlans on the switch only and leave vlan info out on the router? Can anyone point me to an example config of an 1841 with a T1 Wic configured and fe0/0 being connected to a switch? I am trying to get an understanding of how these two pieces of hardware will work together. Thanks for any recommendations!

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will need a WIC-1DSU-T1 card for the T1. You can use the IP address of the VLAN1 interface to telnet to the switch. You can configure the VLAN at the interface level using the "switchport access vlan vlannumber" command.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks. That was exactly what I needed.

Any ideas on the VLANing on the router/switch?

I want the 10.1.2.0 for servers and 10.1.4.0 for workstations. I tried to configure f0/1.1 with ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0 and it gives a:

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that

subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,

or ISL vLAN

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Actually - I've now got this far...I ran the dot1q 2 command on the subinterface and it didn't like the fact that I was trying to use 2. So, I ran it with a 4 (what will this effect?) and the command ran successfully. I then wr mem and sh run and this is what I have:

interface FastEthernet0/0

description SAT-LAN-IP

ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

description SWT-LAN-WRKSTN

ip address 10.1.4.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1.1

description SWT-LAN-SVR

encapsulation dot1Q 4

ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0

no snmp trap link-status

!

ip classless

What are the differences between enabling 2 or 4 for 1Q?

The 2/4 is the vlan identifier. Have you created your VLANS using the "vlan" command in global configuration mode? You can do a "show vlan" to see what VLANS are currently configured.

Brandon

Ok, I see now.If I were to plug the e0/0 1841 into port 47 on the switch, what do I have to configure on the switch? Would it be trunking, etc for that port?

Yes, you would configure port 47 on the switch as a trunk.

Thanks,

Brandon