cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 initial configuration

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please help me configure a new 1841?

I need it to be configured with my DSL line.

I know it is simple, but I am a novice on routers.

some help or links to How-To's documents will be greatly appreciated

thanks

PS. I am reading the quick start guide and it says I need to ground this modular router. Is this required? I had already turned on the router and so far so good, but I just read this and I am now concerned

8 Replies 8

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

ya your router is modular router and which IOS version running on your router...

regards

Devang

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M),

Version 12.4(3d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804582d8.html

i am able to get only this document may this will help you

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

That link has to do with ATM clients and has to do only with the 1801, 1802 and the 1803

What I need is information for the 1841. I need to configure its Ethernet Interface 0 for DSL and I will also need to configure its Ethernet Interface 1 for a backup internet connection (cable)

let me know or anyone please help

thanks

I followed the link very closely and every time I tried Router(config)# vpdn enable, it never gave me the next prompt (Router(config-vpdn)# ) that the doc said it would.

I also tried the other commands on that link, and it didn't work.

I am using 12.4 IOS. Perhaps it could be that this document you sent me is for a different IOS version? I don't know

I thought this was gonna be easy but I can't seem to follow any of the docs you're sending me. My apologies and thank you very much for the time

I want to get this initial configuration running.

Again, it is a brand new router, 1841, with the security feature set, and all I need to do at this moment is IP the router to make my office go to the internet using our DSL line.

We will have 10 PCs in the inside and this router will be between them and the internet.... We will use static IP on the dsl and all inside PCs will use this single public IP (nat)

any more help

once again, thanks Devang

Hey There,

Just one or two questions to help out.

Do you have an external DSL modem with an ethernet presentation to connect to router?

If Not;

You need to have a WIC1-ADSL installed in the router.

This will give you direct connectivity to the DSL line without need for an external DSL modem.

You cannot connect a DSL line directly to a ethernet port ona router. The features for configureing DSL on any modular router only become available when the router sees a DSL interface i.e. Interface ATM0

Hope this helps

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

I see. I read about that. My DSL does goes to a DSL router/modem first (was provided by the ISP) and from there I connect it to interface0 of the 1841. So it comes in as an ethernet connection to the 1841, so luckily I don't need the DSL wic card

My ISP gives me a dynamic DSL connection, so I have have any statics IPs. And I know this is not a problem for the 1841 router. So how do I go about configuring the 1841 interface0 of the router with this type of connection?

and why is it that when I typed

Router(config)# vpdn enable

it never gave me the next prompt

Router(config-vpdn)#

as the document said it would?

Could it be that these directions are to be done at a DSL wic1 card?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: