cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 Load Balancing and Failover

brentsmart
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1841 router with a HWIC-4ESW (4port switch) card installed. The 4ESW is setup as VLAN1 and serves the internal network as the default gateway. The FE0/0 and FE0/1 interfaces are each connected to a ADSL Router. I currently have one WAN interface working fine passing trafic etc I want to add the second interface to act as a backup and aslo do load balancing if possible. Any ideas on how I go about setting up the 1841 to do this. I have attached my current config file that does not have the second WAN interface configured (FE0/1)

Thanks

3 Replies 3

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

While you can get the HWIC-1GE-SFP for the 1841 you need to consider how much traffic you intend to pass over it. It's rated for 87Mbps so if it is less than that, you should be fine and the 1841 is the box for you. Note that the ethernet switching modules for the 1841 will let you do layer 3 termination.

To get load-balancing over 2 links, simply configure two static default routes (with the same AD) and enable CEF which will give you per-destination load-sharing

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

you can do it by using the default route with the same AD which are pointing to the both the interface and using CEF you can achive the load balancing...

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FE0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FE1

rate this post if it works

regards

Devang

It does seem to let me set 2 default routes. Even though both interfaces test up if I set FE1 to same AD traffic don't route.

What is CEF?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: