cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 3750 questions

smartnet
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 3750's that I have decided NOT to use stackwise. They are replacing 2 3550 switches that were connected via gigastack cable running HSRP. I am going to do the 3750's the same way.

Question 1: I did connect the switches via the stackwise cable to experiment. I have "write erased" both switches but they still seem to think they are connected via stackwise. Ports are numbered incorrectly for standalone. How do I get rid of this?

Question 2: The 2 3750's will uplink via copper crossover. What if anything do I lose not using the gigastack cable?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Neve really done this but if write erase didn't work then you could try renumbering the stack so that it thinks it's number 1 in the stack. This page should help you with this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008050245f.html#wp1110719

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1)You can use the switch renumber command. For example if all your interfaces have 2/0/x numbering and you want to change to 1/0/x, you can issue the following command

Stack1(config)#switch 2 renumber 1

WARNING: Changing the switch number may result in a

configuration change for that switch.

The interface configuration associated with the old switch

number will remain as a provisioned configuration.

Do you want to continue?[confirm]

Changing Switch Number 1 to Switch Number 2

New Switch Number will be effective after next reboot

2)The stackwise gives you a 32Gigabit backplane ring and offers higher resilience and ease of management. If I were you, I would use Stackwise.

Thanks guys, that worked.