cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Routers, 2 T1s, PPP, How to Maximise BW usage?

rais
Level 7
Level 7

I have a 2610 router at site A, 2610 router at site B. Both connect using 2 T1s, PPP encapsulation. Have static routes with equal metric to load-balance. Also using 'compress predictor'.

The 'show ip int ser0/0' shows I am using 166/255 (63%) of the available bandwidth. Only traffic is FTP. How can I make this usage to reach at least 80% or higher? Will MPPP be better than equal-cost static-routes?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

If both links are running about the same percentage of use, you are load sharing effectively. I'm not certain if you are getting more on link than the other, or (?).

Russ

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

You say that the only traffic is FTP. If it is only between two devices (as opposed to many devices to a single server), your throughput may be bound by latency and window sizing rather than efficient load balancing.

If you have many clients on one side connecting to a single server on the other, you may be bound by server performance, server network speed/duplex, or some other issue unrelated to the actual file transfer (NAT, firewall, etc...).

What kind of throughput are you getting on your transfers and what is your end to end latency and window size?

Mick.

There are only two hosts participating in this FTP data flow, one at each end. FTP is for backup and flows in one direction only. Both are Alpha server running OSF1.

Ping comes back in 11ms, on average. FTP is giving me a throughput of 253KBytes/sec. How do I know the window size? Currently load is 104/255.

Thanks.