cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 switches, one default gateway?

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

i was thinking HSRP. but can someone take a look at my configuration and offer some insight? thanks.

my network diagram is attached as a gif.

i have two 3750 switches. and 4 servers. server1 and server2 are on vlan1. server1 is connected to switch1 and server2 is connected to switch2. server3 and server4 are on vlan2. server3 is connected to swtich1 and server4 is connected to switch2.

server1 and server2 need to have the same default gateway and server3 and server4 have the same default gateway. can you HSRP interface vlan 1 and interface vlan2, and hsrp interface vlan3 and interface vlan4? thanks.

9 Replies 9

Hello,

looking at your design, the following applies: in order for HSRP to work, the servers need to be connected to both switches. Their default gateway needs to be the virtual IP address of the respective VLAN. You can only make HSRP work if both NICs on each server are in the same VLAN.

Not sure if that answers your question...?

Regards,

Georg

so are you saying that i need to have server1 connected to switch1 and switch2? i can't have server1 and server2 on subnet 192.168.100.0 (vlan1) and have the default gw for server1 and server2 be the hsrp vip of 192.168.100.1? thanks for you response!

You can have HSRP done on the vlans.But , you will need to have 2 ports on each switch ,each for vlan 1 and vlan2 , these ports will be used by HSRP to multicast the HSRP info. The only limitation will be the number of free ports available. If you can send me the full Network diagram and VLAN details, I can help u configure it.

Thanks for your offer. I highly appreciate it. attached is a gif. i have two layouts there, one is the logical and one is the "to-be" physical. for the logical, http/ssl requests come into the isa cluster and get proxied to the web servers. the services are reduntant via microsoft NLB. but the physical part of the diagram needs to be physically redudant. you can see that each of the server groups (isa/web) share dw gateways. how can i make isa point to 10.221.55.1 on the front-end interfaces and for the back-end point to 10.221.55.9 they are on the same vlan but different switches. thank you soo much for you help.

d.wolover
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get your config. done? I had the same questions as you and couldn't figure it out from the replys posted or other Cisco docs. I was trying to figure out if you turn on HSRP on the VLAN ip and it automatically makes a second VLAN ip and an HSRP ip? Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

i haven't finished the config yet. the switches are still being ordered. but i'll keep you in the loop with what i find out.

Thanks, I'll be curious as to how this configures.

probably won't have an answer for you until the middle of may when the project starts.

Not a problem, I'm a patient man. I'll check back with you later in May. Thanks again.