Views
Helpful
Replies

2 way CHAP Authentication

simmo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to have 2 way CHAP authentication with different passwords for each way (like you can with PAP)?

I have been unable to do this, and my current understanding and research suggests that it is not possible....can anybody confirm please?....and if it is possible, give me some sample config lines?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just to clear something up here...

CHAP is usually 2 way anyway, but NO, it's not possible to have different passwords for each way due to the fact that the CHAP response is an MD5 hash of challenge+secret, therefor the password MUST match at each end of the link.

You can , however use one -way CHAP by use of the "callin" keyword under your dialer or physical interface.

HTH

Ali

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just to clear something up here...

CHAP is usually 2 way anyway, but NO, it's not possible to have different passwords for each way due to the fact that the CHAP response is an MD5 hash of challenge+secret, therefor the password MUST match at each end of the link.

You can , however use one -way CHAP by use of the "callin" keyword under your dialer or physical interface.

HTH

Ali

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: