Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2 x WIC-2T or 1 x NM-4T

I need to connect 4 E1-links using a 3640-router. Is a NM with two WIC-slots, each containing a WIC-2T a valid configuration or would I need a separate NM-4T?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 2 x WIC-2T or 1 x NM-4T

I'm not positive if a single NM can take 2 WIC-2Ts, but the WIC-2T is not supported in any of the following NMs:

NM- 1E2W, NM- 1E1R2W, and NM-2E2W.

You would require at least an NM with the FE port (i.e. NM-2FE2W) or an NM-2W.

Our documentation says that a single WIC-2T can:

"WIC-2T Sync support with a max speed of 2.048 Mbps

- Supports one port at 8 Mbps when used in NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W, or NM-2W or 2600 chassis WIC slots. All other WIC ports on that network module or 2600 chassis must not be used.

- Supports two ports at 4 Mbps each when used in NM-1FE1R2W, NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W, or NM-2W or 2600 chassis WIC slots. All other WIC ports on that network module or 2600 chassis must not be used. "

This leads me to believe that the NMs listed above can support 8Mbps full duplex, which would be equivalent to 4 x 2Mbps = 4 E1s. So, looks like the hardware can support it, but I'm not sure if this is the "official Cisco answer."

Regards,

Clay

Re: 2 x WIC-2T or 1 x NM-4T

It depends on your budget and need for flexibility.

For the budget leg, answer of the following is important;

If {Price of [NM-4T]} > {Price of [NM-2W] and 2*[WIC-2T]} then

purchase( [NM-4T] )

Else

purchase( [NM-2W] and 2*[WIC-2T] )

For the flexibility;

You can replace WIC-2T with WIC-2A/S, BRI card etc at anytime. And you can carry those WICs wherever location you need.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.