Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2000 routers to implement

I'm curious about how to implement 2000 cisco 877 routers. Implementation: Updated IOS will be copied and a configuration will be copied to the routers. Only IP addresses in the config will be changed. This is a simple work. However, number of the routers is 2000. So, it will take a long time to do this work. Does anybody know an automatic way to do this. If there is no way 5 people will work for this implementation for a week.

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: 2000 routers to implement

Are you currently in possession of the routers?

If you still need to oerder them, many large Cisco vendors have "Staging" services (for a slight extra fee).

You give them the list of addresses and the desired configs, they will load, test, and burn-in the units and ship / deliver them according to your schedule "ready to go."

The other big advantage to staged services are that they usually keep copies of your configs on-file. If you have a router die, you call the sales team, they call staging, and the unit arrives loaded and ready.

If you have to do the staging yourself, then I'd suggest some flavor of scripting. Perl is handy for this, but there are other (also free) GUI/Non-GUI scripting languages or applications you could use ("expect" is fairly popular and fairly easy to learn for basic functionality)

Good Luck

Scott

Thank you for your fast reply..

i have to do the staging myself. However, i do not know anything about scripting. Can you give me more information about this issue. And could tell the process like explaining to an idiot? :)

Silver

What I think even you use the script, you still need to open the box, power on the router then rung the script.

Therefore, you can simple write the command in text format then copy and paste to the router when it boot up. Just like script but manual change the IP address in each router or the text file.

The most important is test the script or the text file before mass production. Prepare the TFTP server able to communicate to all routers.

Moreover, there are 2000 routers but not all 2000 arrive at a time, so you can stage it yourself by different lots.

It is a routine and time consumption job.....

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies