cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

24 port switch

ketolampho1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 24 port switch connected to my network. Every switch port has two LEDs, which both show green colour when a computer is connected to a port. My problem arises whereby one of my fully configured computers is connected to any switch port and only LED lights.It tells me that the network cable is unplugged, while it has been connected and a single LED is green.please help

4 Replies 4

Moin Ilyas
Level 4
Level 4

Could you please let us know the Switch Model you are using?

i am using a Trendnet switch. The machine connects to the internet when i am on a different workstation. There is also a machine that connects perfectly to the internet on that Trendnet switch,on the same port

ahsanbilal565
Level 1
Level 1

A device is connected to the port, but there is no activity on the device.
Make sure your speed and duplex settings are correct

The usefulness of LEDs in troubleshooting scenarios cannot be overstated. LEDs provide an instant, visual indicator about the state of a network link. In some cases, as with collision lights, they can even alert you to problems on the network. Understanding how to interpret information provided by LEDs is important for the real world.

Imagine a scenario in which a user who is working at workstation A calls and tells you is unable to access the Internet. The Internet connection could be down, but by connecting to the Internet yourself, you determine that it is working correctly; therefore, it is safe to assume that the problem is at the user's end rather than with the Internet connectivity. Next, you decide to visit the user's workstation to see whether you can ping the Internet router. Before you begin the ping test, you look at the back of the system and see that the link LED on the NIC is not lit. At this point, you can be fairly sure that the ping test will not work because without the link light, there is no connectivity between the NIC and the switch.

Now you have narrowed the problem to one of a few sources. Either the NIC or the cable is faulty, the switch to which the user is connected is not functioning, or the port on the switch to which the user is connected is faulty.

The easiest way to test whether the cable is the problem is to borrow a known working cable from workstation B or C and swap it with the cable connecting workstation A to the hub, switch, or wall port. When you try this, if the link light does not come on, you can deduce that the NIC is faulty. If the light does come on, you can deduce that either the port on the switch or a cable is faulty. The next step is to swap the cable out or try the original cable in another switch port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco