cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2500 router used between VLAN's

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Can I configure the Ethernet interface of a 2500 series router with subinterfaces to route between VLANs of an attached switch (cluster)?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

No.

1: Subinterfaces & Intervlan routing are only possible on Fast Ethernet ports.

2: The 2500 series is old technology. It does not "know about" VLANs.

Old Technology?? Do you know how many 2500 series routers are deployed arounfd the world?? A 2514 with 2 ethernet port can route between VLANs.

I need to be able to do Inter-VLAN routing connecting to one Ethernet Interface on a router. I was not sure if in fact 2500's were capable. Apparently they are not.

I appreciate your answer nonetheless.

Kevin

Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that they were not...

What about 2600 series? Are they VLAN aware/capable?..

thanks again

The 2600 series in modular allowing different hw configuartions With a fastethernet interface installed you can use sub interfaces

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

2500 can't do subinterface routing on the ethernet interface but 2600 can do even on the normal ethernet interface starting from 12.2.1 software.

But if you are thinking about doing vlan routing , it is better to have the fastethernet interface because of the amount of traffic

hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: