Views
Helpful
Replies

2501 router question

lordsilence
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm doing some tests and labs on my own and I've got a single 2501 router and I wonder if there's some kind of mediaconverter or transceiver for the Serial port on the router. I wish to be able to directly connect to a CISCO 3512XL switch through the Serial-port towards the LAN and then use the Ethernet0 as the wan-interface.

3 Replies 3

rjackson
Level 5
Level 5

Huh???

Serial is WAN, Ethernet is LAN, Never the twain shall meet; except in a router. Maybe if you explain what your goal is someone can present a solution.

Oops. Sorry, my appologize. I've only reached the second chapter of CCNA Semester 2 :)

Anyhow, my problem is that I've only got "one" 2501 router and I wish to connect it to the WAN in some way. The WAN is connected to by a rj45 link the a radio-bridge. I need to receive an IP from the radio-bridge by DCHP and then connect the local network through the router towards the radio-WAN. Is this possible?

The 2501 is equipped with the following.

One AUI (with transceiver), two Serial, one for console and one for Aux.

Anyhow. What would be the most cost-effective way on connecting the radio-bridge to the router? I assume its WAN interface will be one of the SERIAL ports. But what kind of Media-converter or transceiver should I use? Or am I following the wrong track here?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco