Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2503 performance

I have an old 2503 and I want to connect 2 2Mb/s-serials and a 10 Mb/s Ethernet. Are there any performance constraints in the router if I would fully utilize the serial connections?

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: 2503 performance

The 2500s are rated at 4400 packets-per-second (CEF) with 64 byte packets, which comes to around 2.2Mbits. As packet size increases the achievable packets-per-second goes down, but the maximum bandwidth one can push through a router tends to go up because the packets are bigger. A fairly limited number of tests with other router models showed bandwidth increasing by around 3-4x as packet size went from 64 bytes to 1500 bytes. That would put a 2500 at around 6-8Mbits with 1500 byte packets, but note that this is simply an estimate based on the performance profiles of some other routers.

Note also that these numbers are best case; i.e., CEF enabled, no performance-reducing features such as ACLs or NAT enabled, and so forth. If you're talking about full utilization of both circuits in both directions (full-duplex), that puts you at the upper end of the estimate (8Mbits) with full-sized packets. Average packet size is usually much lower on real networks, so the 2503 could end up being a bottleneck for you depending on your network's traffic profile. But as is usually the case, you can't be sure of anything until you actually try it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content