Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

2514 router to 2912XL switch via fiber optic

I am attempting to connect a 2514 router to a 2912XL switch. All the switch ports are SC fiber. I have a Wang 802.3 FO transceiver that I am connecting to the AUI port on the router. The router has just a basic configuration and the switch has just a basic configuration. When I connect the router to the switch I don't get a link. The fiber cable is good and the connectors are good. What do I need to do to get a link between the router and switch?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: 2514 router to 2912XL switch via fiber optic

If you have the switch that I think you have, then what you are trying to do will not work.

If your 2912XL switch is the one with 12 SC fiber ports across the bottom, and 2 high-speed expansion module slots above, then it's a 2912MF XL. In which case all those fiber ports are 100Base-FX Fast Ethernet only, and full duplex by default. See this link for details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007f176.html#xtocid165794

The AUI port on your 2514 router is Ethernet only: the Wang 802.3 FO transceiver converts the AUI to a 10Base-FL interface.

You cannot connect 10Base-FL to 100Base-FX. They are not compatible.

If you really want to connect the 2514 to a 2912MF XL switch using one of the switch's fiber ports, you need something that will convert a Fast Ethernet fiber switch port into something else you can use. One device that can do this is a bridging Fast Ethernet media converter. Transition Networks (www.transition.com) is one company that makes them. Think of it as a two-port switch with one fiber and one copper port: the fiber is 100Base-FX and the copper is 10/100 autodetect. (You can manually set the speed and duplex on the copper side if you want; on the fiber, you can only set the duplex.)

Once you convert the switch port's fiber to a copper feed, on the 2514 you would also need a copper port to complete the connection. Use a 10Base-T UTP transceiver instead of the FO one.

It's been a while since I played with a 2500 series router, but I think the Ethernet interfaces are Half Duplex only. So you're looking at 10 Half on the 2514, and 100 Full on the 2912MF XL. Manual configuration of all interfaces on the bridging media converter would be the most reliable way to do it.

Another way to connect the 2514 to the 2912MF XL switch would be to use a 10/100 Ethernet expansion module in one of the switch's expansion slots, and an AUI to 10Base-T transceiver on the router. The link above lists the model numbers for these modules.

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES
Community Member

hello,

I had the same problem.

First, you must check connection between PC and Switch. try to set your port to auto negociate or set to HALF DUP AND SPEED 10.

Best regards

Kheireddine

Gold

If you have the switch that I think you have, then what you are trying to do will not work.

If your 2912XL switch is the one with 12 SC fiber ports across the bottom, and 2 high-speed expansion module slots above, then it's a 2912MF XL. In which case all those fiber ports are 100Base-FX Fast Ethernet only, and full duplex by default. See this link for details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007f176.html#xtocid165794

The AUI port on your 2514 router is Ethernet only: the Wang 802.3 FO transceiver converts the AUI to a 10Base-FL interface.

You cannot connect 10Base-FL to 100Base-FX. They are not compatible.

If you really want to connect the 2514 to a 2912MF XL switch using one of the switch's fiber ports, you need something that will convert a Fast Ethernet fiber switch port into something else you can use. One device that can do this is a bridging Fast Ethernet media converter. Transition Networks (www.transition.com) is one company that makes them. Think of it as a two-port switch with one fiber and one copper port: the fiber is 100Base-FX and the copper is 10/100 autodetect. (You can manually set the speed and duplex on the copper side if you want; on the fiber, you can only set the duplex.)

Once you convert the switch port's fiber to a copper feed, on the 2514 you would also need a copper port to complete the connection. Use a 10Base-T UTP transceiver instead of the FO one.

It's been a while since I played with a 2500 series router, but I think the Ethernet interfaces are Half Duplex only. So you're looking at 10 Half on the 2514, and 100 Full on the 2912MF XL. Manual configuration of all interfaces on the bridging media converter would be the most reliable way to do it.

Another way to connect the 2514 to the 2912MF XL switch would be to use a 10/100 Ethernet expansion module in one of the switch's expansion slots, and an AUI to 10Base-T transceiver on the router. The link above lists the model numbers for these modules.

Hope this helps.

Community Member

You are correct! My 2912 is actually a 2912MF. Your reply fully answers my question and I will look into some of the possible solutions you mention. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content