Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2600 router connected to 2950 switch

Hi!

If i'm connecting my 2950switch to 2600 router, what configuration need to be done on the ports that connect these 2 devices together? Do i need trunking for the switch end?

4 REPLIES

Re: 2600 router connected to 2950 switch

Hi check out the link below it provides some config examples for 802.1Q Encapsulation on a cisco 2600 router..

Hope that helps you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

Purple

Depends on whether you need to have more than 1 vlan routed , if not then you don't need to trunk anything .

hi!

yes the router interface used to connect to the switch has multiple sub interfaces for different vlans.

Purple

Then yes you would have to setup the switch for trunking , as routers can't trunk dynamically you will have to force the switchport on as a trunk instead of using desirable or auto. Your native vlan for the link must match on each end . Also clear any vlans that are not needed across the link .

Views
Helpful
Replies