Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2610 Not Booting

Hello,

I picked up a used C2610 router at an auction, and am now worried that it's dead. When I boot the router and have a terminal connected to the console all I get is:

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

...and nothing more. It just sits at this point and nothing happens. The power light is solid, and the activity light is solid. The ACT light on the back of the router is also solid.

Does this mean anything to anyone? Is it dead? Is there anything I can do to save it?

ps: please dont reply via e-mail as i'm on vacation and not checking it...

Thanks,

Bruce

3 REPLIES

Re: 2610 Not Booting

Sounds like there is no flash memory. You might just ahve to open the box and see if there is any memory in the slots.

Joe

Anonymous
N/A

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened the chasis and there is one DRAM stick and a flash memory stick installed too. I'm thinking that one of the memory sticks might be bad... could that cause something like this? I can buy some new memory to test this hypothesis, but I'm not sure whether to target the flash or the DRAM. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bruce

Before going out and buying flash or DRAM, I would try booting with the DRAM taken off the board, and see what happens. If you get the same thing from the router. I am prety sure you should get some knd of error, no memory installed or something like that. The try again after reseating the DRAM.

After the boot ROM is checked, I think the machine tries to verify the amount of DRAM installed, then tries to load an IOS from flash.

You also might want to try breaking the startup sequence by issuing a break when the machine starts, and see if you can display the flash from ROM monitor mode. I can't remmember which commands are available from rommon, but you can type a ? and see.

As far as buying memory goes, you can get a full pgrade kit (16 MB flash and 64 MB DRAM) pretty reasonable on e-bay.

Curious how you progress.

Regards,

Joe

Views
Helpful
Replies