Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2610 router - determining type of device [XM vs. non-XM]

[New to the community, not sure where to start first, so I picked here!]

I have an old 2610 router that has been mothballed for quite a while now, that I'd like to reuse for a different purpose. To do so, I'm going to need an additional module, which I have found, but I'm not sure if the IOS is up-to-date enough to support it. The problem for me, is figuring out what I should be looking at. The specs for the device [NM-4E 4-port Ethernet network module] with regards to supported IOS versions are as such:

2600XM Series  - 12.1(14) or 12.2(8)T1
2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

The problem I have is, how do I tell if I am using an XM or non-XM series device? As stated above, I know it's a 2610, but I don't know where it falls in the rest of the product line. 'show version' returns this information...

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

...which seems to fall right between the XM and non-XM device versions. I'm just not sure where to look for the information I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: 2610 router - determining type of device [XM vs. non-XM]

facsniagara wrote:

I have an old 2610 router that has been mothballed for quite a while now, that I'd like to reuse for a different purpose. To do so, I'm going to need an additional module, which I have found, but I'm not sure if the IOS is up-to-date enough to support it. The problem for me, is figuring out what I should be looking at. The specs for the device [NM-4E 4-port Ethernet network module] with regards to supported IOS versions are as such:

2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

The problem I have is, how do I tell if I am using an XM or non-XM series device? As stated above, I know it's a 2610, but I don't know where it falls in the rest of the product line. 'show version' returns this information...

...which seems to fall right between the XM and non-XM device versions. I'm just not sure where to look for the information I need.

Thanks,

Norm

The 2610 has one 10Mbps interface.

The 2610-XM has one 100Mbps interface.

So either see what it reports on bootup or do a "sh ip int brief". If the ethernet interface is labelled fa... then that is fast ethernet ie. 100Mbps.

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

facsniagara wrote:

2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

Thanks,

Norm

The 2610 has one 10Mbps interface.

The 2610-XM has one 100Mbps interface.

So either see what it reports on bootup or do a "sh ip int brief". If the ethernet interface is labelled fa... then that is fast ethernet ie. 100Mbps.

Jon

Excellent! Thanks Jon.

Now I can order my module and start the fun part - configuring it!

[btw, it's a non-XM version]

Views
Helpful
Replies