Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2612 token ring / ethernet

Hi all,

can I config the token ring port on the router for ethernet? I want to use the 2612 for dhcp...so I need a second ethernet port.

tx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: 2612 token ring / ethernet

You don't need the nm-1e if you can get trunks to work.

You would plug everything into the 2950. You would connect the router to say port 1 and define that as a trunk carring vlans say 10 and 20. You could plug your CM into port 2 and your other device into say port 3. You would then place port 2 in vlan 10 and port 3 in vlan 20.

On the router you would define 2 interfaces like e0.10 and e0.20 and place IP as required.

This is what is called router on a stick.

Make sure you set the port to 10m full duplex on both sided. The ability to run full duplex was added in the same code that 802.1q support was added.

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Alex

Token Ring is very different from Ethernet. The drivers supporting the interface are very different. It is NOT possible to reconfigure a Token Ring interface and make it into an Ethernet interface.

I am not clear why you need a second ethernet port to do DHCP. But if you do need a second ethernet port then you need hardware changes not just config changes.

HTH

Rick

i want to connect the 2612 to my comcast CM.

CM -> 2612 -> 2950 -> computers

I guess I have to purchase the NM-1E card for the 2612.

Do you have a better solution or ideas?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Alex

Thanks for the additional information. This makes it clear that the need for 2 ethernet interfaces is the need to connect to comcast CM and to 2950. I was puzzled in the original post in which you said you needed the second ethernet to do DHCP.

For your situation I believe that the only option is hardware replacement.

HTH

Rick

Gold

Not 100% sure if the 2612 is like the 2610 and 2611 and will support 802.1q trunks on its ethernet ports. You will need a ios plus versions at least to test it.

If that works then you could us subinterfaces and create 2 vlans on your switch. This assumes that the 2950 you have will support 802.1q trunks also.

The NM-1E is your best option if you cannot run trunks.

You could plug all the devices into the switch and use a seconday address on your ethernet to overlap both networks but this can make things like NAT very hard to make work.

Just found this on Cisco web site:

"802.1Q encapsulation is available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

However, 802.1q is not supported on the NM-1E module. So should I connect my CM to the NM-1E port and trunk the built-in port / 2950?

Gold

You don't need the nm-1e if you can get trunks to work.

You would plug everything into the 2950. You would connect the router to say port 1 and define that as a trunk carring vlans say 10 and 20. You could plug your CM into port 2 and your other device into say port 3. You would then place port 2 in vlan 10 and port 3 in vlan 20.

On the router you would define 2 interfaces like e0.10 and e0.20 and place IP as required.

This is what is called router on a stick.

Make sure you set the port to 10m full duplex on both sided. The ability to run full duplex was added in the same code that 802.1q support was added.

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content