cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2621 and bridged adsl connection

mfracher
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched the forums to no avail, but I do not believe this is the first time this has come up.

I have a bridged adsl connection from my ISP. This does not require a pppoe client. just assign the address to the interface and go. Works great on a unix box we use for firewall and natting.

This is not the situation we want to use. We have an2621 with two FastEtherent ports. We would like to do nat and firewalling and the IOS 12.0(2)T supports it.

The problem we have is that when we connect the router to the ADSL modem we get a link but no communication. We can ping our gateway on the ISP but no traffic flows. ISP states it is the router.

I would like to exhaust that possibility before pursuing the ISP any further. If absolutely neccesary we can get a PPPoE connection with a static address, but we se not reason to unless it solves the connectivity issue.

Please let me know of any configs, IOS's or other things I can try.

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

If the modem state says "Could not establish connection," the Cisco ADSL WIC is waiting to hear from the central office (CO) and is not yet seeing an incoming signal.You need to contact the service provider for this.

See the document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk13/tk175/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093e62.shtml

Ya, I was thinking the same. But, I am connected thru the modem. I can ping the remote Adsl gateway. What I can not do is send or receive any other traffic. Since this is a bridged connection, if the interface is plugged in I will get a link light, and if I ping the gateway, I will see activity.