Views
Helpful
Replies

2900 Switch Port # in use

tung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2900 switch and currently in use. I would like to know which port is connect to my server. What command should I use. Thanks

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it's an 2900XL switch, try doing a "sh ip interface brief". If it's a 2926 switch, try doing a "show port"

lauren
Level 1
Level 1

You could looking in the forwarding table for the mac address of your server. Sorry - Im not sure exactly how you do that on the 2900's but it might point you in the right direction. The ARP table might show interface as well if you are lucky.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to know either the mac address or ip address . If you have the address from the switch ping the address and look in the arp table which will give you the mac . Then do a "sh mac-address-table" to see what port your server is connected to . If you already have the mac just skip the first step .

Thanks for all the help.. Thats help alots

The best way to do this is:

1. Assuming that the switch is on the same subnet as the server, then simply telnet to the switch, ping the server IP address then do "show arp". From the ARP cache, you'll see a corresponded MAC address to the IP address of the server. "Copy" the MAC address and then do "show mac address" and "Paste" in the MAC address