Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

2900 switch VTP problem

Is there an issue with VTP on the 2900XL running IOS 12.0? all of our 2900 switches will forward VTP information to other switches but they will not use the VTP information to create their own VLAN database.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 2900 switch VTP problem

Are your switches in VTP transparent mode? Check using "sh vtp status". If it is transparent mode, it is working as designed. Change to client/server if you want the switches to use VLAN info from VTP server. Check on configuration revision before you do this.

yeah I thought of that. the server is a 3550 connected to a 4000 switch that has fiber connections going to 10 2900 switches. the 4000 and 2900s are all in client mode with the correct domain and password. the thing is that when I connect to 2950 to the 2900s, the 2950 grabs the vtp information but the 2900s database remains empty

Purple

How many vlans do you have configured? I think the 2900's may only handle 64 total and once you go over that it puts itself into transparent mode , maybe this is what you are seeing . What do you see if you do a show vlan on the switch . Also if trunking is not working how are you able to telnet to these switches ??? I wouldn't think it could be empty if you are able to reach the switches ok .

the trunks are up and working just fine. I can ping switches from all vlans and there are only 7 vlans configured on the server, the five default and two others that we configured manually. I've been pounding this problem for days now with no end in sight. I even hooked the 2900 directly to the VTP server instead of going through the 4000 and still no change.

Purple

Can you post the 2900 config with the vlan database info , might help. Even the 4000 config would also help.

there is no config just put the think in VTP client mode and the correct domain with the right password and set up a dot1q trunk to the 4000. aside from an IP on interface Vlan 1 and the default gateway. the configuration is fine its got to be an IOS problem... I think.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content