Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2900 XL Switch Port issues

Hi all

I have a 2900 XL switch. I tried to connect a computer to a switchport and the port led did not light up.

1. Can i say that the switchport is faulty?

2. If i do not plug in any PC to a switchport. Will I get line is administratively up and line protocol is up when i type in the sh int fa0/21 command where fa0/21 is the port that i want to see. ?

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: 2900 XL Switch Port issues

1. Not necessarily. The switchport could be assigned to a non-valid VLAN

2. If you don't plug a device to switchport, the status should be down/down

Can we see the switch config ?

Hi,

Is your a managed one or an unmanaged one? If its unmanaged, then try connecting a laptop directly to the switch's port, even then if the port's light doesnt come up, then you may say that the port is faulty.

If you do not plug in any PC to the port and you have entered no shut command, then I believe you should get the port as administratively down/line protocol down (not connected)!

Having the switch's config would really be good!

Hope this helps!

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all posts!!!

Hi Alan,

In case if your port LED is not lighting up when you connect you workstation, it is a strong possibility that the port is in shutdown state. Please go to the interface config and execute the command "no shut" and the port should come up if it is not failed.

You can also use the command "show port status" to find the status of the ports.

If the port is shutdown it will show as Administratively down. and if nothing is connected both the line and the protocol will be down.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Param

Views
Helpful
Replies