cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2900XL and Uplink to Modem?

areola_monster
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use a Cisco Catalyst 2900XL in a home network environment... I am currently using an unmanaged switch with an uplink port that goes to my router pc which provides dhcp and such. Can I specify a port on the switch to be an 'uplink' or do I need a crossover cable or something? I've tried a crossover and that didn't allow my local lan clients attached to the switch to get a dhcp address from my server. Please help!

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the pc suplying the addresses ? If so it should work ok as long as you have a link light on all your devices. On the device ports on the switch you may have to turn on spanning tree portfast on your ports for .

The pc is supplying the addresses. I've deleted the switch config.text so the ports are all default values with the switch ip-unassigned. I did have the link lights on when I used a regualr (not crossed) cable to the router pc, but the clients weren't getting an ip address from the router pc.

What ports should have spanning-tree portfast on? All client ports I believe? Does the 'uplink' port need any special configuration? Does the switch need to be assigned an IP address?

Thanks for your assistance!

All client ports should have portfast on . There is no special config for the ports . You only need a ip address on the switch if you want to telnet to it to manage it .

For your environment, you can enable portfast on any port you desire, since you have no redundant links. It isn't a necessity, and will only bring the port up quicker than if it were not enabled.

If you're switch has a default configuration, every port should be an access port, with the native vlan (1). You don't need to configure a port to trunk if you're connecting into a router, it would only need to be an access port connected by a straight-through cable.

The switch does not need an IP address, unless you plan on connecting to it via telnet, sending syslog messages, getting snmp data, etc. If you do want to assign an IP address, you'd want to assign it on interface vlan 1.

HTH

Let me see if I have this straight... so portfast all ports would be good. For the connection to my linux-based router pc, just a straight-thru cable, and the switch will realize what it is and any other client attached to that same switch will be able to get an IP address from that router? That should be my last question... thanks for all the great help!