cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2924 question

john.carter
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2924 switches on the same subnet, that are connected to each other, is there any setup on the ports that are connecting the two switches I should make to optimize their performance

3 Replies 3

darrenj
Level 1
Level 1

You may well have already done this, if not ensure that the ports connecting the two switches are running at 100MB full duplex.

To force this (so you don't rely on autonegotiation) enter the following from enabled mode:

conf t

interface fastethernet 0/x (where x is the port connecting to the other switch)

speed 100

duplex full

Be sure to set this on both ports using the connection!

Next to that, when you say you have performance problems, are you using 1 or more ports per switch to connect to the other?

When you want to combine multiple ports you can use an Etherchannel. this will give you:

redundancy and aggrigation of bandwith.

To configure etherchannel on a port use the 'port group 1' command on one switch and 'port group 1 distribution destination' command on the other switch.

Regards, Maarten Sjouw.

mdgregg
Level 1
Level 1

The recommendation to hard code duplex and speed settings will help. The other recommendation I can make is to turn spanning tree portfast off on the ports connecting the two switches. Otherwise, at some point in time, the LAN could experience a Spanning Tree Loop. Use spanning tree portfast on those ports which are connected to non-network devices (i.e. desktops, servers, etc.)