Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2924 Vlan general question

I have configured 2 vlans on a 2924 switch, both say they are active and I know for sure vlan 2 is working (vlan 1is set to management ). But when I look at "sh int vlan 2 or 3" the interfaces state they are admin down line protocol down. Why is that? No VTP domain is set.

8 REPLIES

Re: 2924 Vlan general question

Do you have any active ports on the switch set to Vlan 2 or 3. I have been working this same problem, but have come up agains the same wall. If I state that Vlan2 is the management Vlan I can get it to come up.

Vlan 2 has about 10 active connections. It is my companies Internet connection and it's working fine. Vlan 3 has 4 active connections. There are 2 for the PIX's and 2 for routers. I can ping from the router to the PIX and vice versa.

I am working on a solution for this and getting some other assistance. I will keep you posted. This is what should happen:

Set your IP address on the Vlan 2 interface. Make sure that vlan 2 exists in the vlan database.

Set that up as your managment vlan. This should be all it takes. Problem is while I can get the vlan 2 interface up the line protocol on vlan 2 stays down. I think I am getting close. I believe that it is in the order of the configuration. I will let you know.

I have gotten things to work on a catalyst 3524 basicly the sames steps with a 2924. I am not sure what I was doing wrong previously, or maybe that I just didn't set up the managment on interface vlan 2.

In your original message you had left vlan 1 as the managment vlan. This may be the problem.

All the vlans are in the database. Whichever Vlan I make as the management Vlan becomes "up up", the rest go admin down, protocol down. I configured an Iip also for the switch and one for vlan 3. Not sure what steps you are talking about?

I am just talking about setting up the vlan 3 sub interface with an IP address. Making it the managment vlan. When I do this I get Vlan 1 interface up, and the sub interface up. I have not tried setting up a third sub interface. Since you can only have one managment vlan I am not sure you could get a third sub to come up.

Also I have tried the process on a 2924, and while have had some limited success, I am not able to get it to work well.

Whichever Vlan I make as management then it comes up but the other goes down. Thats when I look at the "int". When I do a "sh vlan" all of them are active.

Unfortunately this is in a production environment and I can't really toy with it too much till this weekend.

you just can configure one vlan interface on the C2900 serial.Because it is just like a pc which the NMP is the CPU and the vlan ip address is the pc address.if you want to change the ip address to another vlan from vlan 1,you should shutdown the vlan 1 and no shutdown other vlan.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content