cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2924 XL trunking problem

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I have a cisco 2924M-XL switch which is connected to a 2950 switch. I desire to have a trunk between the 2 switches. The problem is the 2924M-XL supports only ISL and the 2950 supports only dot1q.

I tried to upgrade the ios on 2924XL but no copy command seems to work on that switch. Is there anyway to accomplish the trunk between the two

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

As per the product spec and ios requirement to have trunking capability enabled in your 2924 XL switch u need to have the below mentioned ios codes installed in it.

do check up with the current ios code installed in your switch with the ios codes mentioned here.

WS-C2924M-XL

11.2(8)SA4 (Enterprise Edition) (Minimum Release Required for ISL Trunking)

11.2(8)SA5 (Enterprise Edition) (Minimum Release Required for IEEE 802.1Q Trunking)

12.0(5)WC(1) or later (Current Release Required for Trunking (ISL/802.1Q)

WS-C2912MF-XL

11.2(8)SA4 (Enterprise Edition) (Minimum Release Required for ISL Trunking)

11.2(8)SA5 (Enterprise Edition) (Minimum Release Required for IEEE 802.1Q Trunking)

WS-C2924M-XL-DC

12.0(5)XU (Minimum Release Required for ISL Trunking)

12.0(5)XU (Minimum Release Required for IEEE 802.1Q Trunking)

you can also refer this data sheet for more info & assitance

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

regds

Hi prem,

When i do a show version command i dont see anything except that the switch is running default software.

see attached sh ver

as i posted earlier no commands like sh flash, copy flash seems to work with the current software. Is there any specific way to upgrade the IOS for this switch

hi

Currently you are having Version 11.2(8)SA4 in your switch,version 12.0.5-WC14 is the latest version of S/W image available for both Cisco Catalyst 2924M XL Switch and Cisco Catalyst 2924M XL DC Switch.

You might download the same from the cco download page and upgrade the switch with the newer version.

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/MDFTree.x?butype=switches

regds

Prem,

I can download the file but need to know how to copy i t on to the switch as there is no command like copy tftp flash in the software.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: