cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

2924M XL problem trunking between 4006

Hello,

I have a 2924M XL with a 1 port GBIC card installed, from looking @ the IOS it seems that I can configure a switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q and set it up as a trunk link back to my 4006. The 4006 has a vtp domain and password configured so I have manually matched that config back on the 2900 XL switch with the vlan database command. I still can't get them to ping and debugging dtp frames is showing that my gig int on the 2900 is dropping the frames? I have vlan 1 as the native vlan on all my trunks but this is the first time I've tried to configure a 2900 switch as at trunk? Any help would be appreciated.

~zo

8 REPLIES

Re: 2924M XL problem trunking between 4006

Hi,

you need to

set trunk x/y nonegotiate dot1q ....

on your 4006.

Cat2900XL doesn't support trunk negotiation.

There should be

int gi 0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

in the 2900XL config.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you, I have that working now but what if I wanted to put a mgnt. IP adrress? Do I use vlan 1 or can I create a vlan interface that I know the trunk will see and create and IP for that mgnt vlan?

Thanks,

~zo

Hi,

to the management VLAN:

You can

a) assign an IP address to int VLAN1.

VLAN1 is enabled on all trunks by default (and is also used as native VLAN on 802.1q by default).

Just check there is a "no shutdown" command in int VLAN1 configuration and everything should work fine.

b) If you want to use another VLANx for management, you have to

1) configure the VLANx in your VTT domain (via VLAN database on your VTP server)

2) assign the port to which your management station port is connected to this VLANx (or check the routing if there is a router between the management station and the managed switch)

3) check that VLANx is enabled on the trunk path to the switch you want to manage

4) assign an IP address to int VLANx on the managed switch

5) configure "no shut" command in int VLANx configuration on the managed switch (the shutdown command should be configured automatically for int VLAN1 then).

Regards,

Milan

I'm using a vlan called vlan 55 for my mgnt. domain. I've created a vlan 55 in the 2900 and it is in the same vtp domain as the 4006 but when I assign a valid address in vlan 55 to the 2900 it still won't ping anything. I've set up the default-gateway on the 2900 to be the same gateway for vlan 55. What am I doing wrong?

~zo

OK.

1) Try to assign a physical interface on the 2900 to VLAN55 and connect a PC with an IP address from VLAN55 range to it. Ping from the PC to the 2900 management address. If the ping is not OK, there is something wrong in the 2900 config and check the int VLAN55 config part for a correct IP address and "no shut".

2) If you are able to ping locally (described above), try to assign a port on your 4006 to VLAN55 and ping to 2900 management address from a PC connected to 4006's port.

If you are not able to ping now, the problem is on the trunk between your 2900 and the 4006. Check if VLAN55 is allowed on both trunk sides. Use "sh int fa 0/x sw" on your 2900 to check VLAN55 status on the trunk and "sh trunk x/y" on your 4006.

If you are able to ping now, try

3) ping from another VLAN. If you are not able to ping, check the default gateway address on the 2900. It has to be the address of a router interface in VLAN55 address range.

Regards,

Milan

This is so simple I can't believe I missed it but here was my fix.....

Inside the int vlan 55 config there was an option for management. I guess by default int vlan 1 was the management interface so I simply went into config t mode and typed int "management" and then I was able to ping the 55 address. I will have to document this on my install sheets but once again, thank you very much for your help Milan! :-) please respond and let me know your thoughts about my fix....just for grins.

Later

~zo

Now that I set up VLAN 55 as the mgnt. interface the switch automatically "SHUTDOWN" VLAN 1. Is this going to be a problem due to the fact that VLAN is the NATIVE VLAN?

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface VLAN1

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface VLAN55

ip address X.X.55.7 X.X.X.X

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway X.X.55.1

!

line con 0

transport input none

stopbits 1

Hi,

read this http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc6/cli/clicmds.htm#xtocid32

It will explain the commands in details.

int VLAN1 shuitdown has nothing to do with VLAN1 functionality.

int VLAN1 is a virtual interface assigned to VLAN1. If you shutdown it, VLAN1 is still working.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content