Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2948G-L3 Bootflash problem

A member of the group i work for has managed to put an incorrect image into bootflash on a 2948G-L3, the router now won't boot and goes into rommon each time it's reset.

I've tried setting the following :-

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

TFTP_SERVER=192.168.0.254

TFTP_FILE=/cat2948g-in-mz.120-18.W5.22a.bin

TFTP_VERBOSE=1

But the thing won't boot, I don't get a link on the switch, I've tried a straight and a cross-over cable but neither result in a link led.

Anyone got any ideas where I'm going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: 2948G-L3 Bootflash problem

Don't worry I've just found this :-

erfrahim - CISCO SYSTEMS, CCIE

Feb 12, 2003, 5:09am PST

Seems like either the switch contain the corrupted image or the invalid bootvariable..

You need to break into ROMMON by sendintg the break signal..and try to do xmodem..

Here is the note abut xmodem...

Understand which versions of software support the features you require and whether there are any hardware or software compatibility issues.

Note: You must be running at least software version 12.0(7)W5(15a) or later to be able to do Xmodem or Ymodem disaster recovery from ROMmon (rom monitor mode) on the 2948G-L3. If a system image is lost before upgrading to 12.0(7)W5(15a) or later, the only way to recover the 2948G-L3 is to return it to Cisco as an RMA.

Drat :o(

Silver

Re: 2948G-L3 Bootflash problem

Andy,

Xmodem, although slow, might be your best alternative here if supported in your version of ROM. Check out this link for details on how to "see xmodem download of .bin files".

http://www-tac.cisco.com/Teams/esupport/lan-sw-team/abkhan/XLUpgrade/XLCliUpgrade.html

I hope this helps you,

Don

Views
Helpful
Replies