Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2950/3500-XL Network Slow

I have a network consisting of a 4006 SupeII w/ L3 Module in the Core, connected to Cat 3548-XLs via 2-Gbps Etherchannel Trunk at aggregation points which then connect to a mix of 2950s and 3500-XLs gigastacks connecting via 200-Mbps etherchannel. I have two gigastacks of 2950s and two gigastacks of 3548s at the access layer.

Each floor in the building is on its own VLAN (total of four), with the servers isolated on their own VLAN and attached to the 4006.

Recently, the users have been complaining of network slowness. Specifically, opening word documents off of the server take longer than expected for a reasonable file size or applications hang for a period of time and come back. Everytime I try to capture the problem on a Sniffer, the end-user is not able to recreate the problem - so the problem is sporadic but significant enough for users to complain.

The complaints seem to have begun around the time I began introducing the 2950s or when I upgraded the 2950s to 12.1.9.EA1d.

I wonder if anyone else has had any issues mixing the 2950s and 3500s in their network? I generally like to keep everything standardized, but with Cisco issuing an EOS on the 3548s, I immediately moved to the 2950-48s as a replacement.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: 2950/3500-XL Network Slow

You could check with Cisco to see if there are any known issues. Other thatn that, keep trying to capture the event.

Re: 2950/3500-XL Network Slow

I unfortunately don't have an answer for your question. However, I do have a similar problem. I have mostly 3Com hubs and I am gradually moving over to Cisco switches. I have put in a 2950T switch and as soon as I move anyone to that switch their network connection seems to just crawl. I move their connection back and it works just fine. I look at the web admin interface for the switch and there are absolutely no errors on the switch or on the port the person is connected to. I really can't figure out what is going on here. Please let me know if you have any solution to your problem with the 2950.

Thanks,

TK

Views
Helpful
Replies