Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 corrupt image - won't boot

connie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

After upgrading a 2950 switch with what appears to be a corrupt image, I had to console into the switch and upload the propper image via Xmodem.

When I try to boot from the new image, I get the following error:

switch: boot flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1c.bin

Loading "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1c.bin"...Bootable image segment 0 addre

ss range [0x80010000, 0x808b4d20] not in range [0x3000, 0x700000].

Can anybody tell me what this error means, and how to correct it.

Regards

Connie

3 Replies 3

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

If the switch is not booting up after the xmodem, I would suggest downloading the code from CCO and trying the xmodem again.. the file possibly got corrupt during the transfer the first time. Here is a helpful url on recovering from corrupted software:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/2950_wc/scg/scg_trbl.htm

Thanks for the reply!

It turns out that the 2950 cannot decompress the new image - it complains about a different version of mzip being used.

Any thoughts?

PS: I downgraded the switch back to its old version successfully...

Here's a little trick I use sometimes on stubborn upgrades...

switch#format flash: ( twice to confirm)

Sit tight, it takes a minute.

switch#archive tar /x tftp://x.x.x.x/new-ios-image.tar flash: (use the correct TFTP server IP address and IOS filename)

switch#copy run start (skip if you don't want to keep the running config)

switch#sh flash (IMPORTANT: make sure the new ios.bin image and config files are present BEFORE reloading the switch!)

switch#reload

I would download the correct *.tar again, the one you're trying to use could be corrupt. Maybe you could try doing this upgrade from a different PC?

NOTE: This can only be performed when the switch is up and running IOS! Formatting will get rid of vlan.dat file too. I wouldn't recommend using these steps in a production environment, but only as a quick way to upgrade and/or wipe clean, a switch back to its factory defaults!

If you still are having problems, paste in a sh ver and sh flash from your switch, for me to look at. Thanks...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: