Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 corrupt image - won't boot

connie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

After upgrading a 2950 switch with what appears to be a corrupt image, I had to console into the switch and upload the propper image via Xmodem.

When I try to boot from the new image, I get the following error:

switch: boot flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1c.bin

Loading "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1c.bin"...Bootable image segment 0 addre

ss range [0x80010000, 0x808b4d20] not in range [0x3000, 0x700000].

Can anybody tell me what this error means, and how to correct it.

Regards

Connie

3 Replies 3

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

If the switch is not booting up after the xmodem, I would suggest downloading the code from CCO and trying the xmodem again.. the file possibly got corrupt during the transfer the first time. Here is a helpful url on recovering from corrupted software:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/2950_wc/scg/scg_trbl.htm

Thanks for the reply!

It turns out that the 2950 cannot decompress the new image - it complains about a different version of mzip being used.

Any thoughts?

PS: I downgraded the switch back to its old version successfully...

Here's a little trick I use sometimes on stubborn upgrades...

switch#format flash: ( twice to confirm)

Sit tight, it takes a minute.

switch#archive tar /x tftp://x.x.x.x/new-ios-image.tar flash: (use the correct TFTP server IP address and IOS filename)

switch#copy run start (skip if you don't want to keep the running config)

switch#sh flash (IMPORTANT: make sure the new ios.bin image and config files are present BEFORE reloading the switch!)

switch#reload

I would download the correct *.tar again, the one you're trying to use could be corrupt. Maybe you could try doing this upgrade from a different PC?

NOTE: This can only be performed when the switch is up and running IOS! Formatting will get rid of vlan.dat file too. I wouldn't recommend using these steps in a production environment, but only as a quick way to upgrade and/or wipe clean, a switch back to its factory defaults!

If you still are having problems, paste in a sh ver and sh flash from your switch, for me to look at. Thanks...