Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2950 Etherchannel Issues

In our environment we use Catalyst 5500 and 6500 series Cat OS switch platforms as VTP servers. Our closets are flat layer 2 networks. For administrative simplicity we set the closet switches to VTP transparent and assign management addresses to VLAN 1. We are not trunking VLANS.Each closet has a core switch with gigi fiber or 100mb copper uplinks to the core. The copper/fiber ports on the 6500 have a VLAN assignment for the connection to the closet. Thus the entire closet operates within the VLAN assigned at the core switch. This has worked fine until the introduction of 2950 switches in the closet.

The 2924XL-EN core switch on one of the closets is the aggregation point for a number of WS-C2950C-24 switches. Each 2950 uses ports f0/1-2 in a part channel with switchport mode access. No vlans are assigned the the 2950s and the 2924 are VTP transparent. The 2924 uses teh port group X statment to create port bundles for fastetherchannel to the 2950s. Management IP addresses are assigned to the only VLAN interface on both the 2950 and 2924 platforms (VLAN 1).

The sho etherchannel 1 detail command results in Fa0/1 state being "Down Not-in-Bndl". I'm assuming this is due to PAgP issues between the 2924 and the 2950.

We are trying to keep this implementation simple from an administrative standpoint. Shouldn't the channel-group and switchport mode access statements suffice to establish a fastetherchannel using both interfaces?

The 2924XL-EN doesn't appear to have any PAgP configuration options on the interface. Is there something I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 2950 Etherchannel Issues

Try configuring trunking between the 2924 and the 2950 on the EtherChannel bundle. I have a feeling that because you're not using Trunks on the EtherChannel bundle, one of the ports goes into blocking due to STP. Leave the connection from the 2924 to the core switches alone. I don't think that you'll experience any problem configuring trunking inside the closet.

2 REPLIES

Try configuring trunking between the 2924 and the 2950 on the EtherChannel bundle. I have a feeling that because you're not using Trunks on the EtherChannel bundle, one of the ports goes into blocking due to STP. Leave the connection from the 2924 to the core switches alone. I don't think that you'll experience any problem configuring trunking inside the closet.

I'm trying to avoid the trunking. I read that you have to disable VTP, DTP and PAGP and this should work.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content