cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 Giga Speed Connection

lcoles
Level 1
Level 1

My 2924M went out in one of my dorms. Cisco has a new deal in which I can opt to get a 2950 for free instead of a 2924. Since the 2924 is EOL I took the 2950. The 2924M was connected to my 6009 via mulit-mode fiber (62.5) with one hop in between. The db level of the fiber is 4 DB. The total distance is about 1,650 feet. I have configured a port on the 6009 for a 1000Base port for this dorm. When I make the swap, the 2950 will not come up. I know it is configured correctly because I checked it against one of my working 2950s. If I swapped it back to a 10/100base port with a 2924M in the IDF it comes up and works with no problem. Is the distance too long or is the fiber too hot? I feel my next step is to have the connectors polished and re-terminated to bring the db level down. Any suggestions, would certainly help. Thanks, Laurie

3 Replies 3

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

The distance is fine... Also you do not want to lower your Db level. Actually 4Db is too high. Can I assume that you meant -4Dbm for you rcv level? That would be better. Keep in mind that every 3Db you either double or half your power. So for your level it is fine. YTou can try to clean the fibers, that may increase your levels. Also,try looping your connection onto the remote switch, you will get a link light on the port if good, also you can check for errors. If loops are fine then possibly you need to flop the Tx and Rx fibers...Good Luck....

I was told 4Db not Dbm. So if it is 4Db, then that is too high and it needs to be lowered. That can possibly be done by cleaning the fiber ends. Since I'm fairly new at this could you explain how to loop my connection? I have already switched the Tx and Rx to see if that helped and it didn't. Your help is appreciated. Laurie

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

I think that the 2950 supports errordisable while the 2924 may not. I've had problems when first connecting ports where they quickly go into errdisa mode ... maybe something to check.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: