cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 loses connection

gisdmis1968
Level 1
Level 1

if the fiber connection goes down to the 2950, they will not regain unless i use the console to tell vlan1 shut, then no shut. i usually have to repeat this process several time before it works. is there a easier way?

my process:

config t, int vlan1, shut, exit exit, wr mem, config t, int vlan1, no shut, wr mem. then repeat several times untilit finally works

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

We need more information about your network topology

Do you get any logs on the switch when the connection goes down?

Narayan

i dont have access to the logs right now, but this happens to almost all of the 2950s that have the g-bic fiber connections in the idfs. if the mdf goes down and comes back up the 2950s will still be powered on and say they are up up, but will not have any network connection.

Never heard of that or had that problem . If its a fiber connection and you have just the recieve coming it could still say up/up when then transmit side could be down to the other end . Could be a lot things like if they are using udld and err-disable and timed recovery scenario . Hard to say without seeing the configs of the devices from both ends. Have never had a problem with 2950 fiber connections going down and then have to manually have them come back up .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: