Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 LRE

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi All,

I have a situation where a customer wants to connect his office which are 5 KM apart and has a telephone line in between the offices. There is no other media in between the offices. I thought to use the 2950 LRE but it supports at max 5000 feet. Is there any solution that any one of the guys have designed for the situation.

Can I use an adsl router and connect it to 2950 at one end and telehone to other line and use it that way ?

Regards,

-amit singh

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I think not ... at least not directly.

There are some devices (check www.blackbox.com) that can drive the distance, but I think most are limited speed-wise (given that there is no amplification along the way).

I think about the best you'll be able to get is ~T1/E1.

The other issue is whether the phone line between the offices goes directly between (versus home-runs to the Central Office).

Is wireless an option? Clear line-of-sight? or someplace that both sites can see with clear line-of-sight (i.e., relay)?

Otherwise, you may be stuck in the realm of satellite (i.e., VSAT/USAT - check Hughs website), or pulling media (or getting the Telco to pull media).

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scott. Just wanted to confirm.

Regards,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco