Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2950 Montor Session inserts unneeded info into the packet

As stated in the Title, a session monitor is established (what happened to port monitoring which worked right).....

I can install a sniffer, and I can see packets. The problem is that in the sniffed packet I see vlan 1 immediatley following the timestamp (shown below:)

12:36:36.355434 vlan 1 65.172.162.91.1755 > 198.143..........

The purpose for my sniffing is for some pre-programmed network monitoring that is programmed to understand a particular offset from the end of the time stamp. This vlan information is wholly uneccesary to me and I want to get rid of it. This didn't used to happen with port monitoring. Is there a way to get rid of this vlan information?

Thanks in advance.

-M

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 2950 Montor Session inserts unneeded info into the packet

This has come up several times and the most recent thing I've seen from Cisco on the issue from a few months ago is that there are plans to make this strange VLAN tag insertion business configurable in IOS. Can anyone from Cisco comment on what the timeline is for this (or maybe it's already been done)?

Re: 2950 Montor Session inserts unneeded info into the packet

I don't see anything documentation wise as to how to off the VLAN tag info. But, if someone has info on how to do this, that would be most helpful.

Views
Helpful
Replies