cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 Poor Performance

lhoyle
Level 1
Level 1

We are implementing 2950's to replace Nortel equipment. We are getting poor performance from the 2950's with regards to backups, certain replication processes. Our backup of a Netware box took over 27 hours this weekend. Several sets of eyes have double and triple-checked and they are NOT speed/duplex issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

6 Replies 6

fmoore
Level 1
Level 1

I know that you checked the speed/duplex but did you try auto/auto on both ends rather than hard coding the speed and duplex?

The NetWare 6 box and switch in question are set to auto/auto since we got better file copy throughput that way.

The auto/auto settings likely result in 100/Full. Some backup software prefer half-duplex links (don't ask me why, they just suggest that 1/2D is better, and sure enough it was in our case).

Dave

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you seeing any interface errors ? What does processor look like ? Maybe you can post your config minus the addresses so that people can take a look at it .

Not applicable

What is the IOS ver you are running on the switch...

switchit
Level 1
Level 1

if cat2950 is running 12.1(13)Ea1 ans you have configured the ports to FULL duplex then you will find deferred counters incrementing on that port and there will be slowness in the network. This is the known issue with this IOS.

you need to upgrade the IOS to 12.1(14)EA1a.

other workarounds are :

either set it to 100/Half, 10/Half or AUTO.

thats why as u earlier said when u set it at AUTO it works fine.

is the above is not the cae, let me know the NIC os the servers and I shall let u know their compatibility with 2950. and also upgrade the latest drivers of NICs. also check if there are any input/output errors on interfaces which are connected to servers.

Thanx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: